When you need something to believe in, start with YOURSELF

Friday, February 21, 2014

The Beginning Part 2

I had many hurdles during beauty school.  I was reckless and trying to be a single mom/beauty school student by day and a party animal at night.  I knew no other way to cope with what my life had become.  I was happy when I was creating at the school but on the other hand, I was lonely and lost.  At my lowest point, I started online dating.  I thought I did everything right.  I met the guy at a local public place (yes people, a bar) and I had a group of friends with me.  As soon as I walked in I had that feeling.  You know the one I am talking about.  The one that screams “RUN”!  I ignored it.  After all, I looked good that night and was desperate to be out around other people forgetting my troubles.  The night ended in a date rape.  It is everything you hear it is.  It is confusion.  It is foggy memories.  And it is questioning whether or not what just happened really happened.  It was hell.  I hid at my sister’s house curled up in a ball for days.  Though there were traces of barbiturates in my system, there wasn't enough to prosecute.  And so I spent months with flashbacks and nightmares I couldn't erase.  To this day, I ask myself every once in awhile how many other women have fallen victim to the same monster.

Somehow, and to this day I am not sure where the turning point was, I pulled myself together.  I graduated as “student of the year”.  I knew after the attack I couldn't continue to party.  It wasn't what I wanted for my future.  And the thought of my kids somehow being harmed or losing their mom wasn't okay with me.  The strength came from a source much greater than you and me.  And I am so thankful when things get to their worst, I am somehow led out of the darkness.

Upon graduating, I did the usual.  I went to a local chain salon and did what we hairdressers like to call “ the churn and burn”.  I pushed myself to meet the unrealistic goals set by the company for the minimal pay and hoped that somehow I would make it.  All the while reminding myself this was not the way I thought things were going to be and there had to be more.  Remember, the angels were singing when I walked in the doors of the school!

I found out about a much larger salon not far from my home about a year after graduating.  When I found out they were featured in a local city magazine and they were considered one of the best, I decided I was going to work there.  No one was going to stop me.  After countless calls and emails, I finally landed an interview with a woman who played a pivotal role in my career.  Let’s call her Greta.  Greta met with me and what I thought would be a brief meeting turned into a four hour interview.  I got the job.  It was initially, everything I thought life could/would be working in a big salon.  The tips were great, the clientele was amazing and I even had my own space to work in.  Does it get much better than this?!

Not long after I started working there, the place was sold.  And Greta became more in control of the salon part of the facility.  She was like Faye Dunaway playing Joan Crawford in “Mommy Dearest”.  To the public she was so nice and accommodating.  But if and when she had the chance to belittle someone she would.  I went into that building a willing participant in the bigger picture of making the world a better place by making people look good (or at least that’s what how I saw it).  I left there (on my own terms) feeling deceived, disappointed and ready to throw in the towel.

A few weeks before Christmas, I hit my low point.  I had an incident at the salon.  I was accused of gossiping and making the company look bad.  The reality of it was (or my reality was) I wasn't kissing enough of Greta’s behind, and I was extremely successful with my clients.  So what was the problem?  Let’s just say, Greta is still talking smack and wounding the passion of hairdressers daily.  I pray for her on a regular basis.  Not because I want something bad to happen to her but rather because when someone has the kind of authority she does, it should be respected and taken seriously, bot breaking spirits of those who love what they do.  But, I digress…

After a nasty confrontation and the above accusations, I went home completely devastated.  I spent an entire weekend going back and forth between crying and anger.  How on Earth could it be that the angels were singing only a year or two before and now THIS?  I was sitting in my house, by myself searching on the computer for another opportunity.  I asked out loud for a sign.  “Just tell me what to do!”  Tuesday morning rolled around and right before I had to leave for work, I decided to write my letter of resignation.  For some reason, the idea of having that piece of paper in my purse meant I was in control of whatever MY decision was going to be.  I walked in the doors of that building and all I thought was “Yep.  I’m done”.  I resigned that very day.  With three kids.  No plan.  Nothing.

And then something amazing happened…

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts? Feel free to share!