When you need something to believe in, start with YOURSELF

Thursday, February 20, 2014

The Beginning

I have had a very different journey than the hairdresser who knew he/she was going to be a hairdresser from a young age, went to beauty school at 18 and lived happily ever after.  I knew I was drawn to the industry probably around the age of 12.  But, the few times the subject came up, it was dismissed quickly with a “you will NOT be blue collar” type of comment.  The thought of going to college was never one I was drawn to, but rather pushed to.  I think when anyone is forced into a box in order to be something they are not, or do something they don’t want to do, they resist.  And, ultimately, fail.  We don’t fail because we aren't “good enough”, but rather because the place we are or the person we are forcing ourselves to be isn't what we were meant to be/do.

So, at 18, in a college where I didn't want to be, I reconnected with a boy.  A boy I knew my parents didn’t approve of.  And, he was my ticket out.  Not just my ticket out of college, but in my eyes, the ticket out of everything I had been living that wasn't what I wanted.  And so I fled.

Many years later and with three children, I found myself in a marriage with an alcoholic, a stay at home mom, and no marketable skill.  What the hell was I going to do now?  I had looked at beauty schools in passing.  I knew it was something I wanted to do, but it wasn't something I ever felt there was “time” for.  I mean, how could I take the time away from my kids?  My life?  It seemed so selfish.

When the marriage got to its lowest point, I found myself signing up for beauty school.  I walked in the doors of that little rural beauty “academy” and if the sky could open up and the angels could sing their glory,  Stacey Brown was there and somehow this was her calling, I heard them.  It was exactly where I was meant to be.  And six weeks later, I was a single mom of three…

The general consensus from my family and friends was I needed to get out of school and find a job to support my kids asap.  For me, this simply wasn't an option.  When you are at your lowest point and something wakes you up inside…and I mean, wakes you up at the deepest core of your being, you damn well better listen.  I couldn't ignore it.  I didn't know if I was a good person.  I didn't know if I was a good mother.  I didn't feel like I knew who I was in any way.  But somehow, I knew I was meant to be a hairdresser.  And I couldn't, or rather I wouldn't let that go.

So, tell me.  What speaks to you?  What is your truth?

1 comment:

  1. As a middle age single individual im not sure what speaks to me any more. I wish I knew what my calling was. I once had an idea but not so sure now. Thanks for sharing. You are a true inspiration.

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts? Feel free to share!