When you need something to believe in, start with YOURSELF

Monday, March 10, 2014

Football

Being a mother of four, my life is very busy.  I spend so much time in the salon but I spend even more time with four of the most amazing little people in the world.  And, though this blog is about “hairapy”, if you haven’t caught on yet, it’s about life.  And sometimes, the biggest lessons are from the little people.
My 12 year old son is passionate about football.  He has had a coach and a team for outdoor football he has connected with and formed a bond for the past three years.  So, I was surprised this year when he said he wanted to try indoor.  Though I knew he was a pretty good player, I felt much of his passion came from the familiarity of his teammates.  These kids have a bond.  And, because my son is one of the older players on the team, he makes the effort to be a leader when out on the field.
I had major reservations (and still do) about indoor football.  The setting is completely different.  It is no longer about weight limits and teamwork.  It is based on age regardless of the size of the kids.  And, what I thought would be a fun rec sport has become a series of nights with many complaints of an aching body and the bruises to show it.  I know, I know, I sound like the overprotective mom.  Hey guess what?  I probably am.  But, even through the complaining, he has continued to get in the practices and many times his 113 pound frame is put up against a teammate who is at least 50 to 70 pounds heavier.
It’s been two weeks.  And, the bruises are getting a little darker.  So, the mom in me couldn’t take it anymore.  I sat him down and asked him if he wanted to continue.  Now, I wasn’t saying “take the easy way out and quit” but rather, did we get in over our heads? (Yes, we.)  He was adamant about finishing out the season.  “No Mom, I want to keep playing.  It will toughen me up for outdoor.”  “But, bud, I am worried about how big these kids are next to you.  It just seems crazy to me to have you getting so beat up at practice and you haven’t even had a game yet.” “Yea, I know Mom.  But it will make me a better player.  And at least I get the ball.”  “Are you going to want to do this again next year?” “Heck no.  But I am going to finish what I started.”
I have been thinking about this for the past two days since we had our talk.  Here is this young kid, loving a sport so much, and yet he is in over his head.  And he is going to keep going and finish out the season.  How many times have we “quit” or given up when the going gets tough?  The circumstances aren’t what we thought we signed up for.  Do we bail?  Or do we make the best of it and let the life lesson make us a better person for the next season?
Little people continue to amaze me.

Believe.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts? Feel free to share!